Thursday, January 22, 2009

So Long, It's Been Fun


I'm finally getting back to my blog! Sorry for the long delay..I know I've inconvienenced millions of readers who've been eagerly awaiting what's new with the H family. So I'm here to catch everybody up!
My first blog of 2009 is a goodbye to a true, semi-trustworthy, old friend. After 10 years of good service, we are saying goodbye to our 1992 Volkswagon Jetta. This was our first car here in the PNW, the only car we owned for our first three years of 'real' life (as in, not student life). We found our first home driving this car, we drove to R's first day on the job in this car, we drove to the hospital in this car and came home with our first baby...and our second baby...before we succumbed to the mini van.
R spent hours fixing this car, the kids spent hours playing (and fighting) in this car, it broke down on me at least a few times. Our favorite part of the Jetta was the sunroof-though we live in the rainiest part of the country; go figure. We were planning on teaching the kids stick shift with it...if only it could have hung on for 6 more years...
The Jetta had so many problems but my favorite was the idling problem. The engine would 'rev' without provocation. Every time I'd be in the parking lot of preschool, BabiesRus, or some other place where there are many moms and small kids walking to their cars, I'd be in the Jetta, patiently waiting for pedestrians, while the engine REVVED like crazy. The moms would always look at me scornfully...like can't that crazy lady see I'm 8 months pregnant and walking with my 14 month old and we're going as fast as we can?!? I'd try to smile but that never helped. Preschool was always the worst because the people kinda know you there...
Another constant was the leaking water problem-remember, RAINY climate. So whenever R would take some people out to lunch from work, the car may or may not STINK..depending if there is standing water in the trunk...which depends if it's rained recently, and, of course, it has. That's just to name a few problems.
Now the engine has officially died, so we are donating it to a worthy charity who, for whatever reason, wants it. This is one of the last pictures we have of the Jetta. We are here, playing the glorious Snowstorm of 2008, while the poor clunker is getting it's engine frozen...for good.
Don't ask about us getting a new car...we're just not ready yet...sniff sniff....

2 comments:

Ann said...

Laughing out loud! Aren't old cars fun? RIP Red Car. And yes, I was one of those million readers waiting for an update. Thanks!

WAJ said...

Ha ha, yes, few understand the charms of OLD cars..I know you're one of them!